Friday 29 May 2015

Piano residential course

A few of our members have tried piano summer schools/residential courses; I have just been on my first one! A short review is below:

After a few years of looking at music summer school listings, I took the plunge and tried a residential music course in Somerset. The provider, Jackdaws Music Educational Trust, runs one day and weekend courses for adult participants as well as educational projects in-house and in local schools.

The course I decided to try was 'The Pianist Within' with Elena Riu, faculty professor at Trinity Laban and creator and collaborator of many genre-bending releases (to judge from her online bio).

There were 9 of us on the course and it was a very relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Indeed I met one fellow pianist at Frome station whilst waiting for a taxi! I had a B&B in Great Elm, a short walk from Jackdaws and the village was really nice. We even had a day of summer on the Saturday. I also realised I knew one of the other pianists
- it's a very small world...

The format of the course was masterclass-style, with yoga/relaxation sessions as well. The yoga sessions were not asana-based, but a series of breathing and relaxation movements suited to all attendees.

Friday evening's session was an intro-icebreaker-short play where each person had 15 minutes of play/tuition, followed by a relaxing yoga session then supper (we were all ravenous at that point!). Saturday was more formal, with about 30 minutes per person with 2 yoga sessions and an afternoon break. After a shorter morning session on Sunday we had an afternoon concert which was a really nice end to the weekend. The 9 pianists were at a variety of levels (piano and confidence) but worked really well together. The range of repertoire was really interesting - lots of more modern repertoire, Latin American composers.

Another attendee who had been to Jackdaws before warned me about the food. The catering is superb! I could get used to fresh cakes and three course meals....

By the time I got back on the train (with 2 fellow musicians travelling the same direction) my brain - and notebook - were full of tips and new ideas. I now need to rewrite/organise my notes, but I have a lot of ideas with which to move forward. Roll on the next course!

No comments:

Post a Comment